Monday, January 4, 2016

Coming out: an educational tool

Kate Clare | Blogger | Full-Time Lesbian 

“Kate, I always knew.” Those were the first words my brother said to me after I officially came out to him. I couldn’t believe it. Especially after knowing his opinion on the LGBT community in general, I was definitely shocked. To say that I was completely ecstatic would’ve been an understatement. But before I get ahead of myself, let’s rewind a few years.

Even back then I was a weirdo
My brother has always been the most important person in my life. Even though I’m five years older, we’ve always been super close. His love and support probably means more to me then my own parents. Unfortunately, ever since he started high school he’s been openly vocal about his distaste for the LGBT community. He used to always talk about how it was wrong to be gay, against the Bible, gross to watch, yada yada. Granted, I always hoped he would grow out of that especially when he went off to college, but I’ll admit that it did scare me away from telling him for a number of years. It wasn’t until my parents were ok with it that I found the confidence to approach the topic with him.

Christmas Eve might not have been the best time to have this conversation but several glasses of wine later I was revved up and ready to go. We were downstairs in my basement sitting at the bar when I decided to just go for it. I said I needed to talk to him about something and he immediately without hesitation, knew what I was going to say. I told him that I was 100%, without a doubt super gay, and that more importantly, I was happy. His reaction shocked me. He didn’t even bat an eye. My brother who has always been so openly unsupportive of the LGBT community looked me dead in the eye and told me he was ok with it. He also revealed how he wasn’t surprised at all and always had a feeling that I liked women which I found to be somewhat of a relief. When I asked him why he didn’t have a problem with it like I thought he would, he said “Because it’s you Kate, I’ll always love you no matter what and I’ll always support you.” Again I couldn’t believe his response.

I think my biggest take away here is that people will surprise you. My brother who I always believed would hate my lifestyle was totally ok with it all because he loved me. So if you’re scared about how someone close to you will react, don’t count them out because they could very well shock you with their response. It wasn’t until my brother had someone close to him come out that his thoughts and beliefs began to change.

It’s important to note here too that we need to take it upon ourselves to educate people about our community and break those preconceived stereotypes. It’s critical to show the people in our lives that just because we might not be in love with someone that society tells us to love that we’re all of a sudden a different person then who they know. Just like I told my brother, I’m still the same tennis playing, movie loving goof he grew up with, I just happen to really love women. 

No comments:

Post a Comment