Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Movie Review: "Jenny's Wedding"

Kate Clare | Blogger | Full-Time Lesbian 

I’ll be honest. When I first heard about this film I cringed. A coming out story where one character hides their significant other from their loved ones? Yawn. How many times have we seen this plot line? Also this idea just seemed, I don’t know, outdated? So going into this my expectations were quite low. Although to my shock and surprise I actually didn’t find this film to be one big utter disappointment like I had anticipated. Here’s the synopsis for ya.

ew.com
Jenny (Katherine Heigl) is a thirty-something woman hailing from good ol’ Cleveland, Ohio. Up until this point, Jenny has always had a great relationship with her parents (Tom Wilkinson and Linda Emond), and according to her siblings, is the favorite child. However, Jenny has hidden her five-year relationship with her “roommate” Kitty (Alexis Bledel) from the entirety of her family. So much so that she even goes along with an accusation from her sister that she’s fooling around with a married man, just so they think she’s dating someone. The film gets going when Jenny decides that she wants marry Kitty. The way it’s presented to us is very spur of the moment with virtually no romance whatsoever. No popping of the question, no romantic kiss, just a "Wow, I never thought I'd hear you say that!” reaction from Kitty. Sound appealing yet? Well here’s what this movie did well and what the filmmakers could’ve improved on. *SPOILERS AHEAD*

Strengths

Great adaptation of a personal journey

I thought the biggest strength of this film was how in depth the writer was with Jenny’s personal struggle to tell her family. I found it to be quite engaging watching her emotional journey leading up to coming out, telling her family, and then the inevitable aftermath. I definitely felt that I was watching her grow as a character by initially being sad and broken down, to getting angry and standing up for herself and who she was. I wanted to cheer when Jenny met her mom in the shopping plaza and told her how if she couldn’t handle it (Jenny marrying a woman) then it was her problem and not Jenny’s. That specific scene was so relatable for the audience because all of us at one time or another have been in that same situation where we’ve had to defend ourselves and our lifestyles.

Engaging

Even though I think coming out stories are beyond overdone in the movie business, I do think this film kept the audience engaged by the side-plot lines of the film. One being the marital problems of Anne (Grace Gummer), Jenny’s sister, and her husband. Through her personal story we were able to learn more about Anne’s instability and where her beliefs stemmed from. Mainly when it came to Jenny and her lifestyle. There were also many scenes with both of Jenny’s parents and their friends which showed the audience how influential our friends really are and the lengths we will go to not disappoint them. These so called “friends” contributed to her parents distaste for the gay lifestyle. This film really was more about Jenny and her relationship with her family then Jenny and her queer lifestyle and that’s ok! That doesn’t make for a bad film just because it’s not “queer cinema”, but I do think that’s why so many critics and lesbians alike were disappointed with it.

Improvements

Less Predictability

Even though the family storyline was engaging, the film was way too predictable. We knew the string of events was going to go as follows: shocked reaction from the family, partial acceptance/denial, then the family comes around and attends the wedding. Ugh. Show us something to at least moderately surprise the audience! No one was shocked when Anne left her husband, no one was astounded when Jenny’s dad accepted her. We knew those stories were going to turn out that way. This movie was just too safe in that regard. It would’ve been much stronger if the audience couldn’t predict every scene. Spontaneity in a film never hurt anyone kids.

Characters with chemistry 

I might be eating my words a bit here. I just said how this movie doesn’t constitute as a queer film which is true and completely fine if that’s what the writers were going for. But from the perspective of someone who loves a film where ladies are getting down and dirty, I definitely craved that. Hollywood doesn’t understand that there is a total lack of great lesbian films out there so all of us gay ladies are just aching for a good movie to be made. I can guarantee that if the main female character in your film is gay, every lesbian in existence is watching your film. The least you could do is give us characters with good chemistry and show more than just a few tiny kisses! I found myself completely bored at the lack of passion and desire between Jenny and Kitty. Alexis Bledel was barely even in the film which I thought was a total waste of her talents.

Jenny’s Wedding is definitely a little outdated and “safe” per se, but overall isn’t a bad watch. My best advice to you if you haven’t seen it already is to take it for what it is and don’t get your hopes up. That’s the way to enjoy it. However if you’re looking for lots of girl-on-girl action, don’t even bother watching.  

No comments:

Post a Comment